Monday, August 12, 2013

Typhoon who?



No, this isn't a picture of a tie-dyed t-shirt. It is Super Typhoon Utor - Seriously though!! if you saw this right over the top of your daughter would you be worried?

This is strictly a MOM post today. On Saturday evening we received information that Monday morning a typhoon would be making landfall on the Philippine island of Luzon. The typhoon (a name they give a hurricane if it is in the pacific ocean) was headed in a North West direction and that the northern part of the island would get hit the worst. My heart sank! This is right where Courtnee is. My mind starting racing and going through every bad scenario that could happen. Flooding, wind and debris flying everwhere, would she be able to get to safety, what about food and water, is she scared?, she's only been there two weeks, I'm so glad we sent that water purifier........and on and on.
I wasn't planning on getting an email from her last night. I just figured she would be huddled in a church somewhere waiting out the storm. Well, last night late we got an email. She said that she was fine and that as they were emailing right then it wasn't even raining. What?.......... How could this be? We had tracked the storm all day and from what it looked like it was right over her.
I know for a fact that Heavenly Father loves and is aware of his faithful missionaries. A comforting Mom said, if she is being perfectly obedient she will be safe. If you read in her letter you will see what she said about, as she called it "exact obedience".
I'm so grateful for Courtnee and her decision to serve. I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and I've realized that in times like that the only thing I can do as a Mom (who is half a world away) is pray and pray hard!! Being the Mom of a missionary is not for the faint of heart, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

CNN report on Typhoon Utor



No comments:

Post a Comment